Friday, May 13, 2016

Summer Holidays as a Sophomore



Should it be as a sophomore or a junior? I'm not entirely sure too. Technically I've completed my 2nd year aka 4th semester. But it is still the summer holidays. Well, whatever.



This past semester was one where I had participated in more eca (extra curriculum activities). Well, it is more for me. But I'm pretty sure a large percentage of the other SMU students are taking part in much more activities and events. Cause well, SMU. Overachievers and resume builders.

Anyway, one of the 'bigger' event I was part of was being the Marketing Executive at Apex Business-IT Case Challenge. QH's sister, WL actually asked me to join since she was the marketing director and they needed executives.


I was mostly in charge of churning out collaterals, taking photos/videos and editing them. Here's me in charge of the photobooth on day 1 of Apex:


 

Collaterals part was fun, to me it was kinda like drawing/painting and making scrapbook layouts/cards, but in digital form. My favourite was the Christmas greetings I did for a Facebook post:



Pretty awesome if I may say so myself, hahahha. Actually wanted to add a tiny cabin nestled within the trees. But then I felt it may make the snow globe too crowded. 

It was also my favourite collateral because since it was for a festive Facebook post, it does not have to look professional and stuff. And I had more creative reign and freedom. For most, if not all of my other collaterals, I had to make changes cause they don't look professional enough. At other times my designs just weren't good enough although I feel that they are pretty good. For example:



Changes were needed mainly because the director(s) did not like the "Apex Business-IT.." words on the design, and that they wanted it to be less cluttered.

If given a choice I would have stuck with the first or second design which included the "Apex Business-IT.." words though. I really liked how it looks.

Apex also reawakened my love for photography and especially videography. It was really fun and enjoyable work teehee. However I don't really enjoy the photography part since it has to be more 'professional' especially for the official photoshoots where we take headshots/bodyshots. It's just not my style. My style is stuff like this:


(Yes that is a picture of QH, it was a picture I took for a competition)

For videography, I was also able to have more creative reign, making it so much more fun. It also helps that the marketing directors were inundated with so much work and responsibilities during the actual event itself that they didn't really check on me regarding the video so there wasn't much (any) changes to make.

I'm just not cut for corporate-ish work. Nuf' said.

Anyway, Apex was really quite a fun experience – I learnt quite a few things and made new friends. And I have thank to WL for this ^^



I think I still have to come up with an event recap video but I'm not too sure... Hahaha. 

After Apex ended my summer holidays have been kinda free. It feels like after devoting much of my free time (yes much, cause normally 100% of free time I spend doing whatever I want), I was suddenly left without any purpose or aim. Sometimes I wonder how I managed to spend summer holidays last year doing close to nothing.

I was supposed to start internship the week after it ends i.e. this week (9 May). It was a videography/marketing (?) internship that was inspired by the time spent working on videos in Apex. I was actually really excited about it cause my employers seem really nice. But unfortunately, the other intern whom I was supposed to start work with pulled out. As a result the starting date was pushed back since they needed 2 people to work on the project.

This means my internship future is not secure I guess? And I'm not even sure if SMU will approve of it since they may find that it not that related to my field of study. Ugh. Policies, guidelines and freaking requirements. 

Sometimes I really wonder how people find internships that easily. I guess it just means that everyone is doing really well in school, have awesome GPAs and great resumes filled with eca stuffs. So much so that my achievements pales in comparisons lol.


No comments: